The Axalon RPG

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sensory Viewing Chamber (OoC Discussion)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:51 am 

H.A.T part two has been installed. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:46 pm 

I need to correct a few mistakes in hat trick part two...just a warning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:08 pm 

I am really liking Boulder in Pyre's Metal Frontier story. You really feel that he is the upstanding sheriff that he ought to be. I am enjoying reading this one.

Hat Trick is almost whimsical. I am interested to see how it progresses further.

The proposal has taken an excellent direction. I feel like I am along for the ride. If only Transformers cartoons had our sense of creative writing. I honestly think we have the ability to captivate viewers with our ideas better than the effects and hijinks they think will stop the wandering eyes of ADHD and sugar induced children.

I will be posting a completely new unrelated story later today, and a new Dawn of the Eaters today or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, I've been busy for writing lately, but a I have question that's been nagging at me I'd like to ask to anyone who's read all the way through Preda-Convoy. The last few posts on that are the product of an insomniac writing kick. Generally it's all what I've had in mind for a while, but I fear that as I got into "should be in bed already" territory the mood of it kinda veered too comedic, quippy, and hey-look-its-old-characters-who-woulda-thunk. Anyone else get that sense, and not like it? Or like it?

I'm kinda afraid to go back and re-read it myself, but think it might need a revision. That all said, I don't want to rewrite it as purely dark and menacing either. I was trying for some balance and juxtaposition, where the Preds aren't pure evil, maybe aren't taking this encounter too seriously, but they are definitely a threat. Also later as they fight the evil side will definitely show.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:23 pm 

I noticed that mood shift as well, but honestly, I still like the thread. My advice is to re-read it (Conquer your fears! Eye of the tiger!) and, rather than focus on stuff you didn't like as much from previous posts, figure out where you want it to go and turn the negatives into positives. I rarely write Preds as pure evil- in fact I've got at least a couple of evil Maximal characters.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:04 am 

Ribo, I think Waspinator, Dinobot, and Black Arachnia prove that there is a lot more to Predacons than the generalization people like to make. like Psycko said, you definitely notice a shift. It was not poorly written; I enjoyed it just the same. I think you need to ask where you want the tone to be at.

Most good epic stories have times of different tone to balance things out and provide contrast to other scenes. If you want a darker tone, I say just write even more dark when that time comes. As human beings, we second guess ourselves often. Make sure you really want to change something before you do. The reading is still good from my standpoint.

I have begun a new story. Transformers: Battle for Cuoc Sung

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:28 pm 

Proposal:
I've been waiting for this for so long.

The Glass Case:
I so missed your writing Catfish. I am glad to see more of it.

Metal Frontier:
Oakscream's Coldstar seems badass; the story definitely has its appeal. Hitching Post and Catilli Sonnet are both entertaining. I am yearning for more New Trails of the Lonely.

The Pied Piper:
That bar seems like something Slusho would own on the side on Cybertron. Nice setup.

Preda-Convoy
Ribo, I can see what you're getting at. I am not going to butter up and say it has the same tone as the beginning because it doesn't. On the other hand, I wouldn't write it all away at this point. Whether its destiny or your subconscious, it was written and submitted. Let your mind go and flow with it.

HAT Trick:
This definitely seems silly and keeps making me think about Batman. I can't help it, that's why I try to use more original names in those kind of stories. What makes things worse is that I am playing Batman: Arkham Asylum on the side right now. I am not saying its bad; quite the contrary, sillyness can have its appeal. Batman is just stuck in my head right now.

Incoming!:
You are making me miss that short time I got to play on the Ult story. My Vee from Ult has been sort of redone into Versa, so at least another little bit of Ult survives.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:32 am 

Zevais, sir, welcome back after a long sabbatical. I hope all is well.

In other news, I <heart> Coldstar. Truly.

I also really like Trickster's supply of gadgets for all occasions. Yep. I'd be interested in seeing this whole milieu, the cast and the locale, described in greater detail.

Like with Perdition, I'm always interested to see where the little gunman that could ends up. Not too mention a supply of quite interesting goons, and a put-upon sheriff, nice. Plus Fissionton is a great name. Reminds me of Fallout.

Ribs-- probably don't get stuck on this one moment, and do keep writing, but yeah, maybe it does maybe feel like the bravado and bantering is a little out of hand. It's all written well, but maybe a little uncharacteristic. Prism for one has tended to smolder more and bluster less in his old age. I don't know if that really warrants rewriting, but it could be something to consider as the story goes on, toning that down? Yeah. I can really only speculate on the characters. Blade could maybe get in a monosyllabism eventually. She did that, every once in a great while.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:15 am 

Wow, I like the next part of Trails of the Lonely. I had to reread for a moment there. It is a bit easy to jump through the story and miss how he got out of the general store and whatnot. The characters keep seeming to be spot on.

I am posting the next part of Cuoc Song and some teaser images now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:25 pm 

I will just tell you here Pter because I don't think I will be online and able to be on AIM til Friday night. I am just on here real quick and checking to see if my characters were approved on Metal Frontier, so I can make a post reguarding my characters walking back onto the scene... I just had a chance to read over Cuoc Sung. I like it. I am just wondering if the plants will defend themselves or Nha Mai will get a buddy to help him. I know the odds are supposed to be against the good guy. It looks like he will be hopeless even with his abilities pretty soon. If you want to add a plant expert guy to the crew of the ship, I can make a variation of Dr Cren from BM:AoE for you; he has plant alternate modes and extensive knowledge of plant biology (storywise, I know I personally don't know as much as you). He wouldn't work well as he was because he was quite anti-Predacon... or maybe Maximals could send him later on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:55 pm 

Yes, the tides will turn soon in Cuoc Sung. I will think about Dr Cren; he may have some far later use. I will have to see if my plans change. I am working on 7 stories for Oakscream first, and then I will expand on Dawn of the Eaters. It will be a little while before I get back to Cuoc Sung.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:00 am 

The next part of Cocytus Blues is up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:01 am 

Who would have thought Prism would be so dedicated? The proposol is definitely in an interesting direction. I continue to enjoy the character, Sin; even now, in Preda-Convoy, I still find interest and smirk because of the character. I hope to continue to see more of Sin.

I am posting the next episode of Cocytus Blues in a few moments from this post. I plan to make these episodes weekly, posted each Friday night. I am hoping to get my ideas together for Dawn of the Eaters that I have jumbled around the place into coherent writing. I am aiming to make that weekly on Wednesday's once I get it going again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:01 pm 

I need to rework Hat Trick a little but yeah. I'm also debating about putting a segment of my own novel up here but haven't decided.

I really like Human Error. Nice to see so many of your characters in one place Zev. It reminds me a little of our old email rpg. It's a very good story already.

I'm enjoying seeing the honorable sides of Oakscream as well. I really enjoy that thread. I need to catch up on the others.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:00 pm 

Jeez... Transformers: The New Dawn... that brings back memories Drak... Maybe some of those stories might end up in Spark Fragments, I think they are saved somewhere.

As soon as I get ahold of Pter, he will be putting up the introduction part of Human Error. We may postpone til Saturday since he said a big Cocytus post for Friday.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:06 am 

No, Zev. *hits Drakgun over the head with a newpaper* Bad Drakgun! The New Dawn is dead. Let it rest in peace; I don't want that RPG Black Lantern'ing around this place.

The next installment of Human Error may be postponed until Sunday. I am not sure if I will finish the next installment of Cocytus Blues by Friday night; it could be Saturday evening. We will see.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:56 pm 

=Growls and then crews the bloody paper to shreds.= Just saying it reminds me, not saying it should come back, that was Zev's idea, though I really did enjoy my Soundwav character and the design Zev reindered for me. =Spits newspaper at Pter=

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:33 am 

I felt compelled to finish a new Dawn of the Eaters first. Cocytus Blues and Human Error will continue over the next two days.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:06 am 

I come on early after I wake up for work... and now new Human Error or Cocytus posts... You might want to stop hitting Drakgun with that newspaper and start hitting yourself with it Pter.

I sense a little bit of the plans you had for Isotron in the now-deceased Naegon. Kewl scene... definitely got the uphill struggle of horror thing going well, makes me wonder who will be alive just a few posts from now...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:02 am 

Zev: UT and TF2 are really only similar in that they're shooters. Capture the flag is only one of several modes. I'd really recommend playing it before you jump in and make a team. There's more to the spirit of the game, through its style and humour, than just the two sides shooting each other.

To anyone who doesn't own the Orange Box, TF2 alone makes it worth buying, and if you haven't played Portal, then that's a sin. Valve sometimes has its free-to-play weekends on Steam if you want to test TF2 out first, but if you ever find it on sale anywhere, pick it up and you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:41 am 

The main reason I haven't played TF2 is because of time restraint. Most of my freetime overlaps with my fiance, so I try to get games where she can play with me in the same room on the same system (I hate how so many games these days are only multiplayer with online players). She is horrible at first-person shooters, so we don't usually play those. Fighter, adventure, themed (superhero, mario, little big planet), and things like WiiPlay or Sports Resort sort of stuff is what I play these days. I am trying to find time for 1 player and first person shooters... just not getting to them.

Hopefully, others have gotten to play it and can get involved. I like the premise of TF2 from its wiki. It should make a good read.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:23 pm 

I wouldn't be averse to more than two teams running around the TF2 thread. Actually, I've thought that would make a good mode for the actual game- a kinda Warlords-style setup with multiple color teams trying to take all of each others' forts. Point is, anyone can join in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:46 am 

I played the mod of Quake, the original Team Fortess. I see the draw, but I didn't much care for it {or anything comical from Orange Box}. I stayed away from it. I am more of a Resistance: Fall of Man, Left 4 Dead, HellGate: London, Clive Barker's Jericho type. FPS don't intrigue me until there is a truely creepy factor to the story. Team Fortress and Unreal Tournament and Call of Duty types just seem to repetitive and drull to me. That is just me; they each have fantastic designs-just not for me.

I would rather start a story with seperate groups of people with the character types present in TF2 and Clive Barker's Jericho. Everyone would pick a class {assigning a character to it}, and we would split into groups of four. If you wanted add another character, you'd have to sign up in a new group. Each group would take a seperate map with a different person running the map. {We could post up a map, or we take turns running maps-switching from one temporary mod to the next.} MMO meets board essentially-and definitely fits into Spark Fragments. That is just my own personal interest. I prefer the whole CO-OP thing to VERSUS.

Unnatural Death has some minor elements I keep in mind for Dawn of the Eaters and Cuoc Sung. I like that; I look forward to more. A new Cuoc Sung is submitted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Catfish stories make me want to write more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:15 am 

Tidings of the season to you all-- been doing some holiday travelling this past week, what about yourselves? Saw Mom this past week, going to my Dad's for the next. Another decade, the first of the new millennium, already been and gone. It felt like a fleeting thing, like I never really had a good grip on it. I can't define the tone of the Twenty-Oughts as one might previous decades-- Roaring Twenties, Dirty Thirties, the War Years, the safety of the Fifties, the upheaval of the Sixties, the glare of the Seventies, the glitz and decadence of the Eighties. Even the Nineties had their post-modern disaffectedness to fall back on, as technology leaped forward. Were the last ten years more than a continuation of that? The world changed, but sometimes it seems as if it's aging backwards. After all the war and strife that kicked off the decade in 2001, we've taken refuge in a future culture, fixated on gadgetry. People want safety, obscurity, and, perhaps, conformity of a different sort-- through embracing fringe culture, in making it mainstream. Good or bad? Mostly good, I think, but it has its downsides. Ah well.

It's like the blind men and the elephant, I tell you. It meant something different to everyone.

Ribs: I think we all want to write more-- it's just a question of finding the time in a day. But we'll all keep soldiering and moldering on, and eventually we'll find that balance, and get this place moving again.

'Fish: As ever, worth the wait. Emerald reminds me of Threatener in ways other than just being a sniper and a dragonfly. The comparison is not flattering, but either one of them could certainly speed through a conversation, yes? The continuing exploits of Sphinx, mercenary for pay, continue to inspire.

Psycko: I'm planning on posting on Metal Frontier. With any luck, before the year is out.

Catch you all on AIM, or Facebook, or Google Wave, or wherever it is you hang your hats these days. As a great man once said: have a happy happy, and a merry merry, everyone.

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next