The Axalon RPG

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Sensory Viewing Chamber (OoC Discussion)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 am 

Welcome, one and all, 'til all are one, to Spark Fragments, a board of a slightly different colour than we might've had previously on the site.

This thread will be our OC (don't call it that), for discussion, critique, and brainstorming of the threads on this board. Any questions, comments, complaints? I'll field them here.

Post subject: Re: Sensory Viewing Chamber (OoC Discussion)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:28 am 

Just by way of getting things kicked off properly, I want to say to Pterascream that that was a really cool post, and I'm very interested in seeing what happens next.

Prism and Lightspeed, too-- the rejection doesn't especially surprise me, but hey, I'd almost feel sorry for the guy.

Almost.

...Not really.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:41 pm 

I agree that the proposal posts are a good read. Most of the characters are characters I only know from when I was a lurking. I missed out on a lot.

Cocytus Blues will be sort of jumpy. Do not be suprised if it does not follow a day to day sort of thing. I have a couple ideas. I deciding what I am going to do next. I think a prison styled story has potential-even without possibility of escape. Think-Chronicles of Riddick in the Hellish prison-just without an escape.

I am working on a more twisted cannibal story as well-Autobots and Decepticons are both reducing themselves to killing and eating their brethren. It is a combination of a lack of energon, a secret programming that some have to become Eaters when they starve themselves of energon for long enough. It is an even more depressing/intense version of my ideas that I proposed in Board Ideas-and of course, I am working on that fanfiction as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:31 pm 

I really liked the Cocytus thread as well- I'm curious to see how Oakscream will fare. What enemies will he make, what allies will he make? Evading dangerous inmates and sadistic guards, slaving away in the frozen mining tunnels of the Gulag. It's compelling stuff.

If Ribo would show up on IM, and in a non-away capacity, I can talk to him and see where we're taking the proposal thread from here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:21 am 

The first part of Dawn of the Eaters is up. Let me know if there is any interest over here in this thread I guess.

Autobot Decepticon: In Search of Salvation will be next. I am hoping to find time for the first part this week.

The next part of Cocytus Blues should be up this week or the next.

The proposal has a nice direction. I am curious to see if Prism's ego is going to get even more in the way; his ego made for some of the most entertaining story in my time around and lurking.

I was most amused by Catfish's Glass Case. I hope to see more hobbies for her other characters... and if the people ever figure out what she likes as a treat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome back, Catfish! I'm glad to see people are liking this format.

I was talking to Psycko, and it seems probable that the Proposal takes place in the same "fixed" universe as The Glass Case, but some months or years later. I think Prism, et. al. pop up there after defeating Cage and such.

I'm tempted now to write a synopsis of how that whole CA arc would have played out, but there's still large gaps in that, which I have no good ideas yet on how to fill. Eventually I think it climaxes when they draw Cage into the nightmareverse and defeat him there.

The Glass Case feels like the end of Sphinx's story. I don't want it to be though. Part of that is selfish, Sphinx is a great character and our stories are better for having her in them. But also, though I like that she has found a form of existence that is serene, fulfilling and not built upon murder, I doubt that life would permit her to while out the rest of her days that way. Sooner or later, things happen, and life gets messy again.

Today Facebook suggested I add Catfish as a friend. This even though I have no links to AUG or any other aug people on Facebook. My brain tells me that this just means they're spidering other sites, correlating user info and running a heuristic algorithm, but my gut says this is one step closer to Skynet.

Sorry for the fragmentedness on this post, sometimes my mind thinks in bullet points.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:54 am 

Quote:
The Glass Case feels like the end of Sphinx's story. I don't want it to be though. Part of that is selfish, Sphinx is a great character and our stories are better for having her in them. But also, though I like that she has found a form of existence that is serene, fulfilling and not built upon murder, I doubt that life would permit her to while out the rest of her days that way. Sooner or later, things happen, and life gets messy again.

Thank you! And yep! That's actually the start of a story I wrote with JCat about Rat seeking out Sphinx and employing her. I'll put up the rest of it up when I finish parsing it/get JCat's permission. It's a bit long.

It's half about Sphinx dealing with the fact she can't kill people anymore, and feeling crippled and useless and like she can't do any of the things that she used to do to validate herself anymore. It's also half about a horrible genetic super-soldier experiment gone wrong, but what isn't?

Oh my god, pruning roses gets boring really fast to someone accustomed to killing people and saving the universe.

Quote:
Today Facebook suggested I add Catfish as a friend. This even though I have no links to AUG or any other aug people on Facebook. My brain tells me that this just means they're spidering other sites, correlating user info and running a heuristic algorithm, but my gut says this is one step closer to Skynet.

Creepy!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:58 am 

PESTILENCE IS SO CUTE!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

I've been following Catfish's story as well. A good read and quite inspiring as in it makes me want to write something too. It's nice when old character's are dusted off.

I can appreciate Sphinx's struggle in the story.

Peace for those who live and die by the sword is best sought after then found.

Nice to see you again, by the way, Catfish.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:49 am 

Catfish wrote:
PESTILENCE IS SO CUTE!

Heh, thanks. She's always much fun to write.

I just finished reading through all of the posts on Glass Case following the first. Great stuff, Fish. The freaky-deaky Transmetal mutations make me think of the movie The Thing- or, alternatively, a nice Resident Evil G-Virus or Las Plagas outbreak. I like the methodical analysis of both Sphinx's thoughts and her fighting strategies. Good to have you back, and great to have an excellent story to read all in one shot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:32 am 

Hey everybody. Busier than I'd like, lately. Rains, pours-- you know the drill.

Catfish! I never see you around otherwise, so hey. I kind of live on the wrong side of the clock, now.

When death loses its edge (and I'm not just talking about Sphinx here), I guess we can come full circle with the horror of the unborn, the unfinished, that which should not be. Uncanny Valley. Unsettling creatures, shades of Deadspace, too, along with what Psycko said-- I'll admit, I did not expect it to go there. But then, being unpredictable's what I like about you.

On the other side of the life-death scale, we have Pterarscream with... Autobot zombies? That's a twist. The idea is interesting-- ask me about the Beast plague! --though what with zombies being done so often, I'm kind of wondering more how and why the Eaters came to be, more than how long the survivors will live. I do quite look forward to the next part of Oakscream's story, too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:12 pm 

Quote:
Nice to see you again, by the way, Catfish.

I AM NICE TO BE SEEN!

Do write a story! You do, after all, host the original sword wielding feline who just can't get any peace and quiet ever.

I kind of want to start a game for old characters in this new universe of everything drawn together. I suppose I should stuff that on the suggestions thread.

Quote:
The freaky-deaky Transmetal mutations make me think of the movie The Thing

I believe JCat actually based them on that movie.

Quote:
I like the methodical analysis of both Sphinx's thoughts and her fighting strategies.

I love Sphinx's thoughts. She's so...clear and fixed. Even after being scrambled by love. I've always wanted to be more like her, in that respect. To be slow, unrushed, and know myself.

I'm not so keen on the killing people aspect of her. But she's gotten better about that!

Quote:
I kind of live on the wrong side of the clock, now.

Like, every time you've tried to talk to me on IM I've been about to go to sleep. Where ARE you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:17 pm 

Oh, and Tarry? I hate Mandate. In the most affectionate way possible. He just...gives me the ugly shivery creepies all up and down my neck when he talks. Or when he pointedly doesn't talk. And I don't know whether I'm more disturbed by the prospect that he's being sarcastic or is completely honest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Catfish wrote:

Do write a story! You do, after all, host the original sword wielding feline who just can't get any peace and quiet ever.

I kind of want to start a game for old characters in this new universe of everything drawn together. I suppose I should stuff that on the suggestions thread.

I like your idea for a board, Catfish. From my stance, It would be nice to branch off and work with some of the other characters that I don't normally work with, like Sphinx for example.

I would like to dive more into Jungle's and Lightspeed's and Prism's triangle. I think that could make for some fun. Ribo and I along with Psycko have an unfinished fic about how Cyan came about. I might dust that off and take a few swings at it or maybe attempt something fresh.

Icerunner started a fic back before (but never completed) about her character's relationship with Pyre that I've been playing around with in my mind. Ice crafted some pretty good sequences. So, I have a lot to work with already.

Jungle may have one more adventure left in him after all.

Oh and Ribo - at least Facebook actually recomended someone that you know. I can't say the same. God bless it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:41 pm 

Ribo, we know you are cooking up some good PredaConvoy stuff for us. Are you going to keep it in general or bring it over here when you are finished with the next part?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:04 am 

Good to see the board starting to catch fire a little bit-- off to a good start, Knyte. I like the names you've got. And The Proposal, with the new faces, I'm hoping to see more.

Quote:
Oh, and Tarry? I hate Mandate. In the most affectionate way possible. He just...gives me the ugly shivery creepies all up and down my neck when he talks. Or when he pointedly doesn't talk. And I don't know whether I'm more disturbed by the prospect that he's being sarcastic or is completely honest.

I speak only truth... To those who believe me.

Quote:
Like, every time you've tried to talk to me on IM I've been about to go to sleep. Where ARE you?

Vancouver again, but I'm working during most of the day, now. I try not to indulge in sleep, but my body just refuses to cooperate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:53 pm 

Foof. That was pretty dark, Ax. Good read, though. And I'm glad I'm not I'm the only one who plans out his character's deaths well in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:05 pm 

Ha! Thanks, Tarantulas, I'm glad you liked it! My excuse for actually planning their deaths is that, hey, they're all gonna' die at some point. Why not be prepared?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:57 am 

Forgive the double-post, but I have to say: Pyre, I love the reference to The Gunslinger in New Trails of Lonely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:51 pm 

Heh, thanks. Honestly, by the end of that series, I felt like Roland did. Pretty much exhausted, spent, and otherwise depleted...but I had to get to the last page, if only to see what it was all for.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:31 am 

I am glad to see my idea for side stories for Metal Frontier are picking up some momentum. I need to finish up a bunch of stuff-too busy this week. I am hoping to finish a few stories and some new characters by this weekend's end.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:11 pm 

This bit is rather overdue.

Cocytus Blues

Very interesting take on Transformer prison. I would see this as more of a punishment, a more severe punishment even, than something like long term stasis lock; it's entirely within the power of Transformers I imagine to forcibly put someone into, and keep someone in, long term stasis lock. Kind of like cryosleep in Demolition Man. Likewise turning up Oakscream's pain receptors is another of thoser interesting, 'Transformer-ish' bits. I'm very guilty of humanizing 'bots (witness names, clothing, etc) so it's interesting to see this taken in another direction, emphasizing the more robotic elements. Looking forward to seeing more of his backstory, assuming he's going to stay live on Metal Frontier.

Transformers: Dawn of the Eaters

Zombie story. I don't really have much else to say. Zombie stories are awesome. Big fan of survival horror, ala Resident Evil/Silent Hill. I suppose my only questions would be revealed in time; if Autobots started become Eaters on their own, how is there a higher risk of infection if an Eater attacks another Autobot? Does that speed up the process then? Again, if those are going to be revealed, let 'em be revealed on their own time. I've acquired an interest in pathogens thanks to my signifigant other pursuing doctor-y stuff.

The Glass Case

Speaking of survival horror...I'd wonder what would have happened if Sphinx hadn't mercy killed all the scientists? The thought of what they'd become in days, let alone weeks, assuming they didn't die out, is rather horrible. Hoping to see more of this in the future.

Incoming!

It's funny, of all the various boards I've seen, I think Ultimate was probably the one I missed not getting in on earlier. It had a very old school, familiar idea (two ships crashed on a planet? Sounds familiar...) but with a twist, which is all it needed, really. I've been hearing rumors via the grapevine about a resurrection or a similar idea somewhere along the line. I know I've got Syphon stashed somewhere. I think. Nice look at the backstory of the board.

H.A.T Trick Part One

This needs a part two. A bunch of new characters with speaking parts, but not a terrible lot of elaboration! Certainly a new approach at things. Primus Havok needs more screen time. Text time? You know what I mean.

A Long Awaited Proposal

As one of the two most developed stories on the board, definitely enjoying this one. I also like the very generous nod towards the future regarding the Lightspawn, Prism and Lightspeed's possible future family. So why not Prismspawn? ...no, that sounds like Prism with one of the parasites from the Glass Case. Forget I said anything. More soon on this one. Also, Icarus! I guess we're up to triplets. Huzzah for war machine programs!

The Pied Piper

Similar to the prison comment I'd made, it's always interesting to see the more robotic aspects of Transformer life explored. The ending paragraphs left me curious, which is the whole point of a story, come to think of it. What would drag a drone down to this kind of a place? Is he even allowed to be curious, via programming? A lot of directions this could go, and we'll see if any of my predictions are accurated, heh.

Contemno Atrum

I think everyone's planned out a possible demise or two for their characters. Last moments are certainly emphasized a great deal in all forms of media, so why not here? More to come about that ghost program though, I hope, either here or on MF.

Metal Frontier: The Hitching Post

Definitely a good idea. These pop up every so often, but never seem to fly long, unfortunately. Sad thing is, I've got nothing to add to it, either, heh.

Metal Frontier: Cactili Sonnet

Short and sweet. Frankly, this is better than a lot of the one shots to come out of most comic companies these days.

The Birth of Preda-Convoy

Oh, those wacky Primes. Always switching sides. I'm also jonesing for Trypticon to show up and kick some serious ass, old school like the old school. Of course, of more interest is exactly what kind of change could have come over him in just three days to get him to switch sides. Or who reprogrammed him to that effect. Again, a some nice bluring of organic and technology; is his spark evil now, as well? Or is he still a good soul? Just don't go all Rhinox/Beast Machines with him. Please?

Whew. And that's all of 'em. Looking forward to more from all of the above, and anyone that doesn't have anything up here yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:03 pm 

the next part of Cocytus Blues is up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:39 pm 

I'm really liking the Cocytus Blues thread so far, Ptera. You're really getting across what I had in mind for the Gulag; it's a harsh, cold ice-box where they work you to an inch of your life or stick your frozen, still-conscious body in a cell if you get too rowdy. Excellent stuff. I'm interested in the new bad guy who's presented himself, and curious to see just how much of a rampage he goes on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:12 am 

the next part of Transformers: Dawn Of The Eaters is up

Page 1 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next