The Axalon RPG

It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mission 1 Feedback
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:17 am 

Whew, we finally did it! It's been a long trip, but the first mission of Metal Frontier is concluded. I'd like to thank you all for being excellent writers and bringing your time and talent to my board. It's been great fun.

This is a place to post any questions, comments, compliments, complaints, and concerns you may have. If there's sufficient interest to keep the board running, I'll be posting up the second mission very soon. Thanks again- you guys rule.

Post subject: Re: Mission 1 Feedback
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:21 pm 

WOO. I'll drink to that. xD

As for the other stuff, well, I ain't got much to say 'cept for the fact that I couldn't be happier with the setting, plot, all that good stuff. Two of my absolute favorite things combined into one! Allow me to be slightly immature here and say: Cowboy robots! YES! Good job, mods! -thumbs up-

I'd also like to add that I'm privileged to be in the presence of such excellent writers. Reading the IC posts here on the Axalon is always exciting and enjoyable, and that's because it's got such great participants!

Carry on!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:04 pm 

I hope there is interest. If Metal Frontier did not continue, I think it will be like slitting a wrist of this forum. Metal Frontier seems to be something that appeals to us all here and to me very much. I have been busy, but there is still a lot of development for Oakscream that I want to share-past and present. Metal Frontier was one of my reasons for returning after my hiatus. I am anxious to continue playing the characters. I am looking forward to returning to Gloom and providing antics through Agavus.

I am trying to cook up something good for Dawn of the Eaters, so that is taking away from Cocytus Blues at the moment along with numerous personal things. More Cocytus Blues should be out soon.

I think it would be a good idea for everyone to do a few "flashback episodes" for all of their characters in Metal Frontier. I believe everyone will be able to understand and relate to all the characters more.

I am going to try to sneak in a few mook submissions in my free time soon since they are simpler characters. On the subject of our antagonists, I feel there was some confusion at times with our opponents. I don't know if was a lack of detail of the characters (I don't really think there was a lacking) or if it is my preference to be able to refer back to the character sheet of a character to see what their capabilities are.

Another suggestion: a prelude to a showdown. That is something that is classic in these sorts of stories. Example: The heroes walk into a bar. They sit down and get to know the people they need to gun down. Everything seems friendly, but there is a sense of tension beneath the laughter and entertainment around-poker game, piano playing, burlesque show, etc. There may be a small fight, but it usually just threats with a smile. Later that night or the next morning, the showdown happens-suprise attack or planned (ex. meet me at high noon).

I just like to get to know the villians a bit more. Sometimes it is more fun to play with your prey before you kill it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Clearly what this board needs is a rival bounty hunter who practices a "drunken master" style of gunslinging, not as a ruse as in the actual martial arts style, but due to the coincidence of being unnaturally skilled and also unnaturally drunk, being that alcoholism is the only response she can think of to supposeding to be dead five times over due to having fulfilled her destiny of launching herself into a multi-dimensional temporal black hole while an enranged Endless tore up her spark from the inside, but instead she's now alive and purposeless and stuck on some podunk colony world and for some reason her beast mode is a different species of rabbit.

I'll get right on that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:08 am 

Clearly! That situation sounds like a femmebot I know...grah, it's right on the tip of my tongue, I can't quite place her name...starts with a C, or maybe an A.

That reminds me, here's something I wanted to tell you guys. The second mission, I've been thinking, will incorporate the criminal side as PCs. So if you've got any cool ideas for fearsome banditos, feel free to submit them and I'll look 'em over for approval. Is Lint still around? I remember he had a cool evil-doctor character.

That reminds me to remind me, if anyone has their edited and approved character sheets for this board on their computer, please repost them on the Approved list so I can reference them as needed!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:06 am 

I am at my wife's family beach house. I am stealing internet from a neighbor, and it is slow. I will definitely have a villain, some mooks, and my approved character sheets up by wednesday night. I might not be around til then anyhow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:25 pm 

Ready and able-- I still had some bad hombres I was tinkering with a while back, so I'd happily bring those to the table. And I'm going to be working on a new character, a kind of gone-native shaman character for the good guys.

I remember Lint's name popping up saying he'd signed up on the new boards, so he's probably still lurking around here somewhere.

And on behalf of all of us, Ax, it's a coup having you on board. A new player, pretty much from out of nowhere, as far as I can tell-- it doesn't happen that often, lately. How did you find us, again?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:57 pm 

I actually stumbled across the place while Google-whacking, Tarantulas.

On another note, and because I forgot to say it in my first response: I'm game for round two.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Say, anyone (Tarry?) still have any info on that industrial/warrior lizard race that ran the planet's power supply in Game of Nations? I think they were called the Gila. I'm working up an Industrial Equipment Acquisitions Agent (more commonly known as a slaver).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:23 am 

Speak, and ye shall receive.

KYOZ-ASGI WORLD POWER

“The Company.”

==Capital City==
Thurrum, ‘Fountain’. Built atop the magma canals above a volcanic crater in deepest Kyoz-Asgi.

==Official Language==
Nisszth, ancient language of the Hela-Gila; or ‘Tradetongue’, as they call the lingua franca of Lith.

==Population==
Indigenously speaking, there are the Hela-Gila (‘Sun People’), a race of subterranean semi-mineral reptiles, among the few who can withstand the extreme conditions that are the natural environment. Gila are born in the flames, nicknamed ‘salamanders’. A dark hide is insulated by dense, pumice-like fungal plates, pitted and rocky in consistency. Gaps become filled with a fibrous, spongy, fireproof fungal symbiote, the naturally secreted oils of which mix to form an icy cold substance that absorbs ambient heat. Their long legs propel them gracefully overland; their powerful tails steer them easily through the open ocean. If all that didn’t make them dangerous enough, some damn fool sold them energy weapons... Those fools being the human merchants one occasionally still sees about the place, wearing exo-suits at lower levels.

A few scholars come to Kyoz-Asgi (‘Cloud-Lake’) to study the art of this beautiful, decadent culture. Travelers often come to take in breathtaking scenes found nowhere else on Lith -- the magma gardens of Thurrum alone are worth the price of admission. Kyoz-Asgi’s entrance laws are very lax- but so are its laws on personal health, well-being and safety. You take your chances and so does everybody else.

==Government==
The Immortals. Kyoz-Asgi is a rigid hierarchy governed by the oldest and, theoretically, wisest among them, kept in luxury and splendour. It is to be noted, however, that the oldest Gila only live to an average thirty or forty year span, and that World Power itself is a highly corrupt ‘corporation’, with nepotism and graft running rampant. Mistakes are rarely tolerated, but there is no institutional legal system; offenders may be punished according to the whim of their superiors. Standard practice is usually demotion, though the lowest working positions in Kyoz-Asgi society are so dangerous as to very nearly amount to a death sentence in the first place. Actual crime rates are thought to be low, though no reliable survey can be made. Still, when trying to follow the rules is so dangerous already, breaking them becomes somewhat less attractive.

==Geography==
Kyoz-Asgi’s outlying borders are relatively small -- its domains are primarily vertical, straight up and down. The District of Kyoz is one of the Lithian floating continents, and is unusual for several reasons. One, its geosynchronous orbit is alarmingly low in the sky, buttressed in part by the Company’s impressive antigravity tech; two, it is much taller than it is wide; three, it is largely hollow and riddled with its own peculiar seismic activity and weather, brought on by powerful natural magnets deep in the tunnels.

The District of Asgi, ancestral home of the Gila, is a desert atoll cast in perpetual shadow by the District of Kyoz. Small, twilit Asgi is ringed with power-stations, workshops, multiple harbours and massive ramps that act as a gateway to the better part of Asgi. Descending below the surface for leagues and leagues, under the seabed there spreads a network of seemingly endless volcanic chasms and rivers of molten rock, interspersed with volatile factory-refineries and dark, unstable mines. The whole works is given to collapse and extensive flooding, leading to severe pollution in the surrounding ocean. Other cultures have set up chemical nets in international waters around Kyoz-Asgi, to stop the outflow of poisons from the Sea of Asasgi (‘Big Lake’).

On a further ecological note, the harsh caverns which spawned the Gila have given rise to countless other creatures just as tough, if not more so. The Gila often surmise the poison in the water will do the same for the fish as it did for them.

Kyoz-Asgi also operates several small colonies in the floating islands above Kyoz, and has seagoing fuel tankers and aircraft carriers acting as World Power outposts around the world.

==State Religion==
With a limited imagination as concerns the supernatural, and no gods to speak of, the Gila worship their celebrities-- just like us, but at least they’re honest about it. (And forgive a bit of editorializing, but the Gila’s celebrities do tend to be warriors, athletes, wise thinkers and even the occasional hero, as opposed to the human equivalent of a paperweight in a 5000-dollar dress.)

==Economy==
Booming, in more ways than one. The Kyoz-Asgi World Power Company’s employees are masters at converting the forces of nature into usable energy sources. Geothermal, electromagnetic, solar, hydro, wind, a variety of fuel sources... It’s all thanks to their human friends, who brought them the technology, showed them how to implement it and agreed to help sell the end product. Kyoz-Asgi was founded only a short time ago, and it is already more of a World Power than a Power Company. They export fuel in pressurized barrels, battery packs small enough to power a wristwatch or large enough to fuel a hovercraft, an array of cheaply produced knockoff products-– and weapons.

With the excess energy generated, they can easily maintain huge factories and mines, and build their infrastructure at a rapid rate; not to mention powering the laser and plasma weapons they have begun cranking out at an alarming pace. The country is remarkably self-sufficient, imports being, at this point, rare. For the moment, pretty much everybody wants to be Kyoz-Asgi’s friend-- or at the very least, no one wants to be their enemy.

==Military==
Kyoz-Asgi, in spite of their rapid growth, have not yet caught up to the other nations, though it is possible that this is not a priority for them. They have no lust for conquest, and are on friendly terms with most, except for a rare few which have already attacked them and been beaten back. Kyoz-Asgi vehicles tend to be somewhat old-fashioned, lacking the automated systems, speed or armour of their rivals. They are, however, rather better armed in many cases, with the aforementioned energy weapons, which punch through armour like so much wet tissue paper.

The Company has another advantage-- while their army is not as large as it might be, thanks to the demand for workers and the expendability of same, Gila do mature quickly, and they breed even faster. They have a low age of majority and are naturally resilient. Even an untrained Gila can pose a threat to an armed human soldier. Of course, ‘untrained’ is the key word here -- only recently exposed to the world at large, Gila can be naïve in battle, and that’s not only corporate warfare. History shows that natural viciousness, while helpful, is no proof against superior tactics. It is yet another area in which the Gila look to their foreign friends for advice.

==Culture==
Hedonistic is the world -- the wealthy inhabit plush, palatial spires in Thurrum or Maag, but even the poorest revel in nightly festivals, most just pleased to have survived another day in the perilous factories and mines. The Hela-Gila like to party. All of that accelerated breeding happens for good reason, and the Company likes to encourage it with rationed food, liquor and drugs, all provided free of charge. There are no laws against them of any kind, and indeed, the Immortals hardly have room to object -- the same substances are a fixture in the Immortals’ public baths, banquet halls, boardrooms and seraglios. Old, yes -- dead, no. Gila may be led by ‘venerable ancestors’, but they worship the strong, and virile, and if all three are one and the same, more’s the better.

While they have no priesthood and no written, recorded history, the Gila’s oral tradition is still a force to be reckoned with. Gila tell stories of great deeds and heroes, and model their lives after them - because only heroes are typically singled out to join the ranks of the Immortals. So a great warrior might be ‘The Mighty Nop Come Again, Who Drives Back The Baraka!’, but by that same token, the clerk who stayed up for a week straight and saved the Johnson Account could be known as the resurrection of ‘Fli Blindeye, Master Librarian, He Who Remembers!’ Like most things about the Gila, they are not overly picky - any excuse for a holiday.

Gila have earned a definite reputation for not being very bright, though whether this is a measurable phenomenon or simply an interpretation of natural Gila directness is difficult to say. One might point out that the Gila have never needed to be smart to achieve their particular goals; especially not with the outside help they have received. Not to mention the speed with which they adapt as a culture, their childlike openness to progress and change...

==History==
The tribal Gila only emerged from their smoldering caves in past several centuries, and were most surprised to see a massive fire in the roof high above- their word for sun originally referred to the heat generated toward Lith’s seismically charged mantle, and to this day they cannot be persuaded that the universe is mostly empty space. They insist there must be a wall somewhere.

These early explorers soon set across the Asasgi, paddling over the mountainous waves, towing a barge by ropes tied around their tails. They were first discovered by a human fisherman, where they were taken back home as curiosities and only revealed to be intelligent by dint of effort- it was thought they were mere beasts of burden, pulling their strange raft for some other unseen master. A novelty at first, it would some time - two of their generations - before the Gila were able to return home. They did so with the help of certain human sponsors, whose families would later go on to become the merchants behind the Gila’s meteoric rise in influence and at last, their triumphant arrival on the world scene.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]