The Axalon RPG

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: New TF Cartoon?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Roberto Orci has revealed that Frank Welker has joined the cast of Transformers: Prime, an upcoming cartoon on Hasbro Studios and Discovery Communications joint venture The Hub.

When asked on Producer Don Murphy's official message board how the show is going, Mr. Orci replies, "Seeing [Peter] Cullen and [Mr.] Welker together in the recording studio was mind blowing."

It was previously announced that Mr. Cullen has joined the cast of the cartoon. Mr. Orci does not reveal what character(s) Mr. Welker will voice.

Transformers: Prime is slated to debut on The Hub when the network launches on October 10, 2010 in the Kids Afternoon/Prime timeslot between 1 PM and 6 PM.

The exact time has yet to be revealed.

Get the scoop on all the Transformers updates as they happen right here at Tformers.com. The best resource for all your Transformers news and reviews every day.

Post subject: Re: New TF Cartoon?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Just got back from Comic Con.

Hasbro was pretty heavily promotting its new HUB TV as well as Transformers Prime.

They had a giant Optimus Prime statue set up and you could also get your picture taken standing on Optimus Prime's hand.

There is also a new GI Joe show in the works, so it seems good things are coming.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

I caught the first two episodes on Friday. Anyone else?

Impressions so far:
CG + TFs + HD = sweet
Tone and pacing seems to borrow a lot from Clone Wars. Clone Wars is a whole lot of empty action scenes and dull dialogue though, and we get some of that in TF: Prime too. Hopefully it manages to shake that off more.
To the last point, all of the action scenes were Autobots vs. Drones.
So the plot development was a little slowish and there was less screentime for establishing the characters than I'd prefer. But the plot and characterization that was in there was pretty good. Arcee is the most standout character so far. I don't have a good read on Megatron yet, but his ambition reminds me of Beast Wars Megatron.

So all in all I don't know if this will glue me to the screen yet, but it's worth checking out the rest of the initial 5 episode arc at least. It's on at 5:30 EST, starting with the first episode again tonight, eps 3-5 air weds-fri this week.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:30 am 

What is this, like the twelfth Transformers cartoon? I don't know if it's good or not, but I'm still waiting for them to finally do a G.I. Joe vs Transformers cartoon series or animated movie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:41 pm 

I saw the commercials, but I don't have the HUB lineup on my channels. I plan to download it later. I'll comment more after I see it. I was actually getting found of Transformers Animated; it was sad to see it go. The possibly not so racist stereotypes it used probably killed some early fanbase it may have recruited.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

I was able to find it on youtube as of a couple days ago.

"The possibly not so racist stereotypes"? I'm guessing you mean possibly racist? Nothing stuck out at me as racist on the show, but I'm guessing you must be referring to Dr. Sumdak and Sari? Besides his accent and her name that means "dress" I don't recall anything about them that was an ethnic stereotype. Maybe I'm missing something? Actually the only criticism of Transformers on grounds of racism I know of was about Mudflap and Skids in the last movie.

Saw the 3rd episode yesterday. A lot of the animation and dialogue is kind of stiff. The first two eps had that too, but here I think the execution dropped off a little. The whole episode is basically setup for the next one though, so hopefully it picks up. So far, I like Animated better in all of the storytelling aspects. But, I must say I've missed the visceral thrill of battling CGI transformers since Beast Wars. (Yes, the movies are CGI, but in the movies they just look like big metallic aliens to me, not real Transformers. Bad Art Director! Bad!)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:52 pm 

I just watched episodes one through four. I do not know if I should be flattered or irritated off. Hasbro and Discovery Communications may have entirely ripped me off. Transformers: Dawn of the Eaters is damn near close to the storyline they are establishing for Transformers Prime; not only that, it is using story ideas I already had in draft form on my computer. Of course, the two are not identical; there are overwhelming similarities. I am wondering if this is more than coincidence.

What do you guys think? Should I contact them about this? I would not mind contributing to the creative team. I do not want a show pulled off the air. I think I could really add to it. I cannot believe the legal team would have gone through the undead storyline that is similar to mine without googling it. This forum easily comes up on google; even my fiction does. I ask again, what do you guys think; should I try to approach them about this?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think so. Blankity Blank Plus Zombies has frankly been done to death in recent years (no pun intended. HA!) so I think the similiarities have to be very specific to make a claim. Dawn of the Eaters has a different starting point, takes a bit of a different direction, and kind of has more to it with the zombie angle than Prime does, so I see it as more of a coincidence than anything. Yeah, there's also some parallel with Megatron and the Dark Energon, but from what I've read War For Cybertron already did Megatron ingesting dark energon (with different effects I think) and in Prime so far it's not much more than the MacGuffin that lets the Evil Mastermind create and control his Undead Minions.

I mean, as far as zombies go, TF Prime is too unoriginal and boring to have been stolen from Dawn of the Eaters. I mean, the zombies are basically just more drone cannon fodder that you have to kill with melee weapons instead of ranged.

btw overall i like some stuff about the series but it has to get beyond a good video game premise to get me to put it up there with Beast Wars, as some fans are already doing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:57 pm 

You guys haven't seen the rest of my material. It is sort of Dawn of the Eaters in reverse. They eventually end up on Earth after Cybertron is basically taken over. There is a connection to Unicron and anti-spark life. A villian was going to use a space bridge to bring the Eaters to Earth after he mastered the infection. Being on Earth was the furthest I had planned out even around the space bridge arc in my plans. I have it all saved on my computer. I have offline witnesses and actual notes on paper as well as digital timestamps on my computer documents. I have an official timestamper running constantly because of the scientific research I have to document during my dayjob.

I am thinking about rewriting the rest of my material, so the two aren't so similar. I am just thinking that perhaps if I had the ideas first; they may take my input for future storyline to improve the show. Being that I am mostly ripped off; I am wondering if they may listen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

So I'm getting the Hub now and was actually able to catch this.

I was pretty impressed... given the more recent shows... i.e. Unicron Trilogy, this one stands above.

Gen 1 was great don't get me wrong, but Beast Wars took it to a different level.

Prime doesn't bring it quite to the Beast Wars level, but it is a good watch.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Okay so, this is Transformer Prime's last season.

It seems like they are making an attempt to integrate Beast Wars to a degree... at least pay a little homage to the show.

Interesting plot twist.

The show has been pretty solid with some interesting plots like; Unicron being at the center of the Earth, the planet having formed around him - pretty scary actually.

They've also made some nods to Gen 1 as well:

Having Gen 1 looking Wheeljack in the mix. Granted the personality is different, but it is a nice nod to the original series.

Shockwave looks pretty close to his Gen 1 counterpart as well and seems to have the same role and personality from the original tv series.

They also brought in Ultra Magnus, who again looks pretty close to his Gen 1 counterpart and seems to have the same role and personality from the original movie and season 4 of the original tv series.

A Gen 1 looking Smokescreen is around too.

Then they gave a nod to Transformers Animated with the character of Bulkhead.

And they gave a nod to the Transformers Michael Bay movies with Bumblebee.

Pretty clear that the makers of Transformers Prime are Transformers fans.

Well in a few months, the 8th American Transformers show will be wrapped up.

Any thoughts on the 9th? Maybe a new Beast Wars show? Granted Beast Machines did a pretty good job of killing Beast Wars but I feel there is still stories to be told, maybe have story from the same time as Beast Wars but focus on another group of warriors..? I don't think the final nail was put in the coffin. I know that some folks don't care for the beast modes... but the beast modes are pretty damn cool.

Anyhow, sense it is Transformer Prime's last season and they are taking about Beast Wars -- tune on in. After all, why not?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:52 pm 

This is sad news to me that this is the last season. So far the entire series has definitely been one of my favorites. And they're really opening a ton of plot threads, especially with this latest episode, that I'm not sure if they're going to be able to resolve satisfactorily. Hell, the whole plot they opened up with Airachnid could probably eat up a good half-season by itself!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:25 am 

Hah! ye olde login still works

Yeah I was sad to see the show go as well. The first handful of episodes were shaky but by the end of the 1st season the show had really come into it's own. You could tell they were pulling out all the stops in the latest season with some amazing animated action scenes. The Predacon's Rising TV film added some closure to it all, but I felt it was unnecessary and didn't really close out all the threads (I'm lookin at you Airachnid)

The film did confuse me a little though.Due to my geographic disability I watched a 'leaked' version. I have heard that the official premiere had some extra footage that might fill a plot hole or two.

Still didn't grip me as much (nor provide the same amount of sheer fan service) as Animated but I still put this up there as one of the better series out there in terms of writing and general production value.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:06 pm 

I enjoyed this series immensely. My children watched it with me while I was home, and again once it was released on Netflix. The writing was reminiscent of Larry DiTillo's work on Beast Wars, all the nods to the previous transformers universes, while creating one of it's own, was superb. I think Hasbro is using the same technique that Star Trek Shows adhere to, whereas no future incarnation will last longer than the most popular franchise, (7 years, because of The Next Generation, fyi.)

I didn't get to watch the final season due to deployments, but, they're already pre-ordered on Amazon. If future TF projects turn out half as good as this one, (Or twice as good as Animated) I'll be....

Who am I kidding. I'll be watching it anyways.

P.S. What's up, bitches?

P.P.S With the popularity of Facebook, you'd think all the old members of the community would be able to stick closer together just be adding a few friends. So much more convenient than back on EzBoards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Unicron - thanks for dropping a line.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

I was able to catch most of this series. Having watched it from beginning to end, I got to say that it was very solid.

The idea of Unicorn being at the center of Earth is pretty frightening.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]