The Axalon RPG

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Winter Solstice visit
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:25 am 

It is a clear, crisp day just after the winter solstice (depending on which hemisphere you reside in). Within the borders of a rather large forest clearing, everything is sheltered and calm. A small lizard suns itself on the large rock which just happens to be free of snow and placed almost exactly in the centre of the grassy space. In fact, despite the chill, the entire clearing is free of snow. The grass is short, possibly grazed on by wandering animals. The scent of pine and ice fills the air. It has to be snowing somewhere close by but mercifully not here today.

All is still.

A sudden flash of light.

A figure in a fur lined hooded traveller’s cloak, winter clothes and boots now stands next to the rock. We spot some kind of silver device in its hand briefly before the controller disappears into some concealed pocket. A teleportation device perhaps?

“Well, it’s been a very long time but I thought I’d drop by to say hello.”

Drawing her cowl back, we finally see the new arrival’s face. Long plaited hair and burning copper eyes.

Icerunner.

“Anyone home?”

Post subject: Re: Winter Solstice visit
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Purched in a tree, body conforming to its shape, such that only a careful gaze would reveal his form, sat Jungle.

He was observing the long sought deer herd.

He watched them carefully feed upon the brush below, eyes wide, ears twitching, always on the alert.

The winter was beginning to turn to spring, thus the deer had a rather motley appearance as their winter coats were beginning to fall off in favor of a lighter spring one.

Sounds of the melting snow could be heard about as it fell in clumps off the tree branches or turned to water and dripped down like rain.

With each sound, the deer paused and upon confirming there was no danger, resumed eating.

Jungle timed his breathing with the background sounds.

Less than 4 yards away he was perched.

He had been perched for hours, just watching.

The opportunity to deal a killing blow had come and gone, come and gone and come and gone. Yet, there he sat.

All these months, perhaps years by this point, the chance had come and gone, come and gone and come and gone.

It had slowly become less about the deer and more about just being out here.

A large crashing sound breaks the tranquility and the deer run off.

Jungle gave pause - that was no natural sound... it was more of an explosion.

Was someone else out here?

As the deer ran away from the sound, Jungle ran toward it, grunting as his feet hit the ground.

Jungle paused in his tracks, noting the change in climate.

What was once spring was now winter...

It would take a powerful force to change the season...

He reached for his sword.

But paused before his hand touched the hilt.

There was a familiar presence... one not felt in some time... could it be..?

Quickening his pace Jungle stumbled into the clearing.

He stood in disbelief, unsure if the figure before him was real or a construct.

"Ice?" He stated with a smile.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:02 am 

Her plan had been to make hot chocolate while she waited. It had been a while since her last visit so the young woman was content to wait for a while. She wasn’t sure how often people stopped by to visit anymore.

At the sound of someone stumbling through the forest, Icerunner stopped trying to light a small campfire and turned toward the source of the noise. She didn’t draw a weapon. No need. This clearing and the area immediately surrounding it were her creation. Nothing would hurt her here.

The source of the noise stumbled into the clearing and stopped, looking at her like he’d seen an apparition.

“Ice?”

Coppery eyes widened in surprise before flint and kindling hit the ground, temporarily forgotten. The Dark Warrior smiled at her. She remembered that smile so well.

“J…Jungle?”

A look of pure happiness lit her face as she dashed over to hug Jungle.

“It’s so good to see you Big Cat!”

She smiled up at him, coppery eyes dancing.

“How goes the hunt?”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

As Ice ran toward Jungle, he removed his helmet in order to view her better.

He embraced her back. He didn't try to hide the fact that he was happy to see her.

No doubt about it... she was real. Having been in isolation for so long it was hard for him to tell reality from fantasy.

"Funny thing about that. When the opportunity arrived to due the deed I found I no longer desired it. I don't know... just something about being out here..."

He glanced about, taking in Ice's field and he pulled out his 'port key' to glance at the latest downloads - no threats here.

"I could use a cup of that hot chocolate..." The grizzled warrior stated with a smile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:56 am 

Ice grinned up at Jungle as she released him from the hug. Obviously he had spotted the tin of drinking chocolate sitting next to her makeshift fire pit.

He was just as observant as always.

“Well, I’ll just get this campfire going and we’ll have hot chocolate before you know it.”

Retrieving her kindling and flint once more, it wasn’t long before the young woman had a cheerful fire going. Settling a billy of water on the hot coals, she retrieved a couple of deep mugs, spoons and a small bottle of milk from one of the pockets in her coat (obviously this was no ordinary winter coat) and set them on the flat surface on top of the rock. The billy would only take a couple of minutes longer and then they’d be able to make their hot chocolates.

Icerunner stretched for a moment then sat gracefully on a soft patch of grass adjacent to the campfire, inviting Jungle to do the same. Taking a deep breath of the crisp winter air, she grinned over at Jungle.

“I agree that there is something good about being out here. It’s refreshing. Maybe you need the freedom of open space more than the hunt nowadays?”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:28 am 
Site Admin

Having removed his heavy armor, Jungle stood with his hands over the fire. The warmth of it was refreshing.

Closing his eyes, he breathed in the brisk air, savoring the tranquility of the moment.

"The struggle to survive out here has put things in a better perspective for me... it is so easy to get caught up in things, dwell too much on the petty. When you strip in all away to but the basics, what truly matters becomes clear," the grizzled warrior stated in response, to Ice's statement, though he seemed less 'grizzled' now.

"And you old friend? You could have materialized anywhere. Why here?"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:01 am 

Ice shrugged but didn’t answer immediately.

The water in the billy had just reached boiling point. Smoothly, carefully, she stood and removed it from the fire and combined the ingredients, creating 2 steaming mugs of hot chocolate.

Handing Jungle his, she finally answered.

“You’re right of course; I had my choice of locations. I thought this wintery clearing would prove welcoming to visitors. Neutral ground if you will. An opportunity to step away from people’s own busy realities for a moment or two.”

She blew on her drink to cool it a little before taking a sip and leaning back against the rock.

“And at the end of the day, a peaceful place like this, the crisp air is relaxing and helps me to think clearer.”

She smiled at him once more.

“I wasn’t sure how often people passed through here anymore. I’m glad our paths have crossed again Jungle.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:09 am 
Site Admin

Jungle took a sip of the coco and smiled at his friend.

"Fate continues to connect us it seems."

Finally able to fully relax Jungle fetched a weathered log to sit down upon. He positioned himself next to Icerunner. He stretched for several moments to prevent stiffness.

"There is truth to your logic. The Axalon members do seem to scatter further and further out with each passing season. It's been so long, I'm not sure that I could find my way back to the Capitol if I wanted too," he stated with a chuckle. "I did stumbled in to Pyre a while back... occasionally I can feel the energy of others, if only for a passing moment."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 am 

Ice sipped her drink and smiled back at him.

“Well, it’s only natural that our paths would take us all in different directions. A lot has changed since the old days.”

Her expression softened as she reminisced for a moment, then returned her focus to Jungle.

“Even if you only sense the others for a moment, it means they still pass through here and that’s a good thing.”

Suddenly something in the young woman’s cloak chimed, startling her. Holding the still steaming mug with one hand, she searched for a concealed pocket. Jungle watched as she searched, eventually retrieving a chiming small silvery device. Flipping it open and examining it, Icerunner sighed.

“It’s almost time for me to go big cat. The next part of my journey is about to start.”

She treated him to another smile, this one a little sad.

“I wish we had more time to catch up. I wish some of the others had dropped by too.”

Her smile brightened.

“Maybe next time.”

She nodded at his drink.

“We still have time enough to finish these though so don’t rush.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Jungle felt a sense of sadness but at the same time he was glad... glad that he was able to have this time to share with his oldest friend here.

After taking in her words he shot her a smile. Above all, he was glad.

Taking her hand, he stared into the flames of the fire... a moment of reflection…

... he took the final drink from his cup.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:55 am 

Two more slow sips and the young woman finished off her own drink. They sat there for a moment, hand in hand, cups empty, neither saying a word, just enjoying the moment for as long as possible.

Finally, Icerunner spoke, treating Jungle to a smile.

“My friend…it’s time. I’ll be late if I don’t go soon.”

As if emphasizing her point, her physical form shimmered for an instant before becoming solid once more.

She squeezed Jungle’s hand for a moment, then released it and stood.

"I'm not sure when, but I will be back again Jungle. Of that you can be certain."

She grinned.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Jungle stood as well.

A lump formed in the Dark Warrior's throat as he watched his friend begin to fade from view.

"Safe journey Little Cat," he managed.

A big gust of wind blew by and then she was gone.

Jungle found himself alone in the field.

A small smile had formed upon his face. He wasn't quite sure why but he felt at peace.

He looked to the sky at the swirling clouds and crackling lightening.

"Safe journey."

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

A bit later...

Jungle staggered, dropping his chipped and battle worn sword. It struck the ground blade first, thus it sinks partway into the soil.

Next, Jungle discards his dented helmet a foot or so beyond the sword.

Still staggering, Jungle finds relief upon a rock.

Cloudy head clearing, Jungle took note of his surroundings. He was perched near the top of one of the mountains, on the far side of the Axalon.

The day was clear, thus he had an unobstructed view of the valley below. He would even make out part of the Capital City from way up here.

A breeze blew by, providing the grizzled veteran further relief. He took a deep breath, lungs filling with the clean air.

For a moment his back straightened before returning hunched.

He had used most of his energy fighting off the onslaught of spammers. It had taken most of his strength to rid the Axalon of those ill-begotten posts.

He checked his port key and noted the red blinking battery symbol in the corner of the view screen.

If he didn't leave now, then he never would.

He considered his options...

If he opened a portal now, then perhaps he could find a new land, with fresh energy to tap into... perhaps recharge and then one day make his way back here.

Or he could stay... and let his journey end here...

... he closed his eyes...

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]